Wednesday, February 27, 2013

What is Lutradur...

What is Lutradur...con't

I posted a review of the book Fabulous Fabric Art with Lutradur by Lesley Riley c. 2009 published by C & T publishing on February 17th, 2013.

Last Friday I tried to do as many techniques as I could get to with the whole family around home on reading break.

This was a great exercise because I first had to find all the supplies. I thought I was organized but when I looked for the water colour paints I purchased awhile ago I could not find them. It was like playing craft room and supply area hide and go seek! What this did was help me organize more of my stuff. Do you ever have this problem?

While I found stuff I did not put it fully away until I had sorted it and labeled the box it was in with my label maker. (that I only found a few weeks ago)

So I tried alcohol inks, regular acrylic paint from Micheal's, colourvie, setacolor, shiva paint sticks, regular  crayons, regular paint sticks from Micheal's, lacing, and stamping.

Plus I tried the colouring techniques with plain lutradur and with lutradur with Golden soft matte medium gel.

I am going to have to try to fit in another full day session this Friday to finish up all the samples I want to try so that I can see what is doable to achieve in a workshop.


Here is a look at my kitchen table mid process...





Drying that  samples that I have coloured on.....
















Stamping(top of picture), gel medium drying (front of picture) and paint, stamping and lacing on the right.







Clearly you can not become an expert in a day on the subject but I am starting a sample book of my experiments so that I can compare what I have done. So far I enjoy painting the lutradur with any of the paints, using the alcohol inks, and stamping. The lacing done with a heat gun would take practice to do if you want to control the areas you melt. This would take some fine tuning and practice. But would be very cool to use in a piece...

So far I am not a big fan of paint sticks. Maybe it is the smell that bothers me, the mess on my hands or having to wait so long for it to dry before heat setting.

And yes you can heat set lutradur. Using an iron on the recommended setting will flatten the lutradur after wetting. When you wet it it tends to curl. A heat gun or creative burning tool is much hotter than your iron and is a concentrated area.
With that said you will - and I have - started to melt my piece when ironing it to much.

So I am looking forward to another day of play this Friday. Then I have to whittle down what I have learned to pass onto my Fibre Arts Group at the
Burlington Arts Centre

Have a great week. I am enjoying the WIP link up at the The Needle and Thread Network.

Jo

6 comments:

HollyM said...

Interesting to read all the things you've tried! I like the Paintsticks, but I do tend to use them on a piece when I know it's going to sit for a bit. I did just use them on my last piece. They are good as an accent.

rtquilter said...

These man made fabrics are really fun to experiment with. i have a little piece on my blog that I am working on right now , using Evolon painted with setacolor. I will post a current pic today if you are interested. Evolon is gorgeous to work with- VERY versatile!

Regina said...

You certainly are a thorough person! As for having to sort before being able to start working - seems I am not the only one........

Jo said...

I think that I would tend to use them as accents as well. It is not a medium I feel comfortable with yet.

Jo said...

I have not heard of evolon but now am curious. It will be interesting to see it on your blog. Thanks for commenting. I love to learn new things.

Jo said...

Some times I am through. I think it is my training as a nurse - or the fact my family thinks I have obsessive traits. lol But I am teaching a workshop at my guild and I want it to be organized. It is my first and probably 15 people in a two hour period so I want to know my subject and know what can be accomplished in two hours. A lot of work for two hours but I would not mind getting into teaching small groups.