Friday, May 6, 2016

Craftsy Class Review - Amy Johnson - Quilting with Rulers on a Home Machine.

Craftsy Class Review - Amy Johnson - Quilting with Rulers on a Home Machine.

So I have set my note book (see last post), viewed the whole class and now have completed some of the lessons.

I have to say I really like Amy Johnson as a teacher. freemotionquiltingadventures.com is her blog which has lots of information and her online shop where you can find machine rulers and feet for your domestic machine. Disclosure: I do not get anything for promoting her web site. I just love it!

Her teaching style is easy to listen to, filled with information and she repeats key points which is helpful when you are learning. She shows many rulers that are available but stresses that you can use just two to start a straight machine quilting ruler and a curved machine quilting ruler. She even provides a template and how to create your own temporary ruler to get started! No hard sell for supplies here. I like that in a teacher. This makes this a class for those who maybe can't quite afford it all to participate. And will let you test some experience before you leap into the world of supplies.

Here are a couple of pictures of my first attempts
The machine I am using

Using the straight ruler in grid work. Notice the little glitches on the bottom line as I started up the line.  
 The great thing about this class is you can take a picture and ask the teacher why this happens. Amy responded within a day.
Here is the finished square. 
This square was done not using the stitch regulator that comes with the machine. I have yet to try that. 

Next I did grid work with the curved ruler. 
 This I didn't feel as good with. I did not take my time or mark the grid lines well. I also did not understand how to use the registration lines on the ruler. Rulers are not created equal. Before you invest I suggest watching or looking at on line tutorials of how the ruler is used and see what you think would work best for you. I plan to use the two rulers I have until I feel that I have mastered them. My I bought are about 6 inches. If I bought another I would buy a 12 straight ruler as well for bigger blocks.


Seeing Amy do it it looks effortless. But she stress what I think we all know... practice, practice, practice.

I would definitely recommend Amy's Craftsy Class.

If you are interested you may click here to go to Craftsy and this class description
Quilting With Rulers on a Home Machine

Disclosure: If you do, I do get an affiliate fee.
I am stating that I don't want to turn anyone off of reading my blog.  So No Pressure Here!




From time to time I am going to share my free motion progress as well. Here is a sample of a design based from Leah Days 50 Free Motion Filler Book. freemotionquilting I have been following her since shortly after she started her 365 free motion project. Go to her site and check out her story. She has posted the most amazing videos showing her designs for free. You can also purchase supplies from her.  Disclosure: I get nothing from promoting her web site. I just love her. 

Leah also has classes on Craftsy with if you went through my craftsy button I would get an affiliate fee for. Again no pressure. 


I will add more pictures of my class work for you to view. This I hope is going to keep me accountable. 


How do you feel about machine quilting. Is it something you want to do? Is the learning curve to high? If you are an accomplished machine quilter how long did it take you to feel comfortable with your skills? 

Trying to figure this new skill out is a challenge for me for sure! 

jo

No comments: