Thursday, February 3, 2011

Why I like my mini bolts...

Why do I like my mini bolts?

I guess I am obsessing on my mini bolts. I just find this so easy to use.

This method keeps my fabric from getting to messy and mashed. When I fold my fabric an put it in plastic boxes and I start pulling for a project I start hurrying and stuffing stuff back in.

And it does allow me to play deal a fabric. Like this:
 Or this
 Or this.....

Then it allows me to put things back into the boxes like this. 


I also can pull my boxes and see at a glance what I have. The piles don't topple. Are not falling off the shelves and the pets can not knock them over. 


This works awesomely for me when I am making small art quilts or any other project I do. Larger pieces than a yard go in my cutting cabinet. I have material ear marked for projects here and then bigger pieces I have to use up when I need to like neutrals and fabric to great to pass up. 

I had a suggestion from a comment to the way I do my fabric bolts from the Quilter Club of America site. They use hair clips/ binding clips to hold their bolts together to prevent wrinkles. I will have to see how the pony tail holders wrinkle my fabric. 

Off to the sewing den... Play day!!!! 

6 comments:

Katie said...

Hello! Just found you through CPS. This is a great idea for storing fabric. Mine ends up in endless bins but I can't seewhat I have! See you soon!

pwl said...

That looks so neat and unorganized - so completely unlike me. LOL

I have seen a method of wrapping (folding?) fabric around a ruler to make bolts/bundles of uniform size. I tried it once. Didn't work so well. Mind you, I can't even draw a straight line with a ruler. :)

Gail said...

did the pony tail holders wrinkle the fabric? what size boards did you use and what size bins?

Jo Vandermey said...

The pony tail holders might wrinkle the fabric a bit but I was using pins which will leave holes in the long term and I kept losing on the floor or sticking them on my shirt and poking myself.
I haven't noticed a problem with them though.
I use the acid free comic book inserts from the comic book store and cut them in half. I am away from home right now so I can take measurements when I get home.
The boxes are from Walmart and I believe are "Sterilite" brand. I am not sure of the size of them either but it will take the mini bolt for an entire row down the length way of the box with room for a few on the side.

M-R Charbonneau said...

Great idea for storing fat quarters! Thanks for sending me your link!

Gail said...

oh!!! you cut them in half... that makes more sense... i've been going crazy trying to find bins to fit. I took a piece of cardboard to the store to find bins before i bought the boards, and i found ones that are probably what you have but i got them home and they barely hold a 1/2 yard folded twice to the selvage and then in thirds... so i ordered the magazine ones from amazon 8.5 x 11 and i'm off to walmart tonight hoping i can find another size bin....